June Member of the Month – Chris Persson
Chris is pretty strong. That goes without saying. But he’s no one-trick pony. He may be no stranger to a barbell but that doesn’t keep him from rocking out sets of 20+ pull-ups. No matter what we throw at Chris, he always excels. He’s a lifetime athlete who found a way to keep his competitive drive alive through CrossFit. He and his wife, Kim are both highly active in the CFE community. Consistent hard workers that are always up for a challenge. Thanks for sharing your experience, Chris!
1. Profession: I own my own general contracting company, Persson Construction, LLC.
2. Athletic Background/ previous fitness training: Growing up, I played soccer and basketball and I was a college rower. I kept eating like a college athlete throughout my 20s and early 30s and then finally realized I needed to start working out. I started power lifting a few years ago.
3. What is CrossFit to you? It’s a place to blow off steam and take my mind off of work. When I have a bad day, my wife says “do you need to go to the gym for a little while?”
4. Why CFE? I like that the coaches don’t have an issue being blunt. Being an athlete most of my life, I like someone to tell me what to do and how to do it.
5. What inspires/motivates you to continue? Bigger. Stronger. Faster.
7. Proudest achievement: In life? I have a great family. I have a great wife, a great kid, and a happy home. In the gym? Getting stronger has been a motivator for eating better. Now that I have improved my eating habits, I’m at my lowest weight since before I got married.
8. Greatest challenge/weakness: Double unders.
9. Goals (Inside + outside the gym): Inside: Get better at gymnastics. Outside: Be happy.
10. Favorite movement/ if you could design one workout: Rowing and lifting a heavy barbell. Any lift as long as it’s heavy.
11. Special interests: Falling asleep on the couch during animated and/or crappy movies, being anal-retentive about my lawn, and Lexie’s.
12. Anything you’d like to add? Just thank you. Thank you for teaching me, pushing me harder, and not letting me be a baby.
2017 06 02